The N5KD Curry Recipe...
3oz of butter. (or margarine)
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
Seeds from inside 3 cardamon pods.
3 black peppercorns.
12oz onions. (3 medium onions)
fresh green chilli's. (2 to 6 - to taste).
1 inch cube of fresh root ginger.
3 cloves of garlic. (a clove is 1 segment)
1 Lb. meat. (Lamb, Beef, Pork or Chicken)
15oz tin of plum tomatoes.
1/3 pint of water.
2 inch piece of cinnamon stick.
1 teaspoon of salt.
1/2 teaspoon of tumeric.
2 teaspoons of ground cummin.
3 teaspoons of ground coriander
3 teaspoons of red chilli powder. (cayenne)
2 tablespoons of garam masala.
1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
1) Heat the butter in a deep frying pan.
2) Add the mustard seeds until they crackle.
3) Crush the hard spices (cardamon seeds, peppercorns & cloves), add to butter for 1 minute.
4) Chop the onions and add to the pan. Cook until they
are soft or brown.
5) Add the chopped ginger and crushed garlic. Cook until the 'raw' small goes away.
6) Add the meat and cook until it browns.
7) Add the tin of tomatoes, the water and all the ground spices except the garam masala.
8) Now cook the mixture until the meat is cooked through and the onions have boiled away to pulp. I simmer it for about 8 hours, adding water to keep it VERY wet. Stir occasionally to ensure itís not sticking to the pan. Allow to dry to required consistency by not adding water close to serving time.
9) 20 minutes before serving add the garam masala and lemon juice to the mixture. If you wanted to make the curry hot, then the chilli's you did not add in step 4 need to be added now.
|RICE COOKING HINT:- Add 1/2 a teaspoon of tumeric to the first water you boil the rice in. Wash the rice after 10 minutes, then continue boiling in clean water. Then finally wash the rice again before serving. Then it will be much less 'starchy' and a nice color as well.|